Dr. Hemsley’s first experiences in healthcare began as a volunteer with a small independent pharmacy in Pocatello, ID. During pharmacy school, he gained valuable experience as an intern working in a high-functioning, multi-disciplinary family medicine clinic. After completing the Doctor of Pharmacy program with Idaho State University, Dr. Hemsley completed a post-graduate residency with St. Luke’s Magic Valley Regional Medical Center, where he continued to focus and gain experience in Acute care, Ambulatory care and Transitional Care Management. After working as a hospital pharmacist, he spent nearly 5 years with St. Luke’s Health Partners developing and deploying various value-based pharmacy programs focused on improving quality outcomes and reducing the total cost of care. In December 2018, he took on the role as the Director of Specialty and Ambulatory Pharmacy with St. Luke’s Health System, where he is designing, building and leading both of these dynamic programs
IIBHN 2020 Presentation(s):
Pharmacy Stewardship and Opioid Use Disorder
- Understand pharmacy practice in various settings.
- Understand value proposition of integrated pharmacy models.
- Understand CDC guidance on opioid prescribing.
- Understand how pharmacy services and integrated care teams are well-positioned to support patients with opioid use disorder.
Integrated Pharmacy Models – Overview
- Understand the value proposition of pharmacy services in various models
- Understand some of the barriers to expansion of pharmacy services
- Understand the importance and role of specialty pharmacy