Using the Contextual Interview to Transcend Your Clinical Practice
July 9 @ 1:00 pm - 2:30 pm MDT
Bridget Beachy, PsyD & David Bauman, PsyD
Have you ever struggled with how to help patients who present with complex and comorbid conditions while dealing with the realities of the primary care system? Have you ever been concerned that you are not providing meaningful care that reflects your values of a being a provider? This workshop will provide an extensive overview of the Contextual Interview and its underlying philosophy (functional contextualism & focused Acceptance and Commitment Therapy). The Contextual Interview is a tool that helps Behavioral Health Consultants (and other clinicians) to provide contextual, compassionate, and, at times, radical healthcare interventions. Specifically, attendees will learn about the genesis and philosophy of the Contextual Interview, learn how it seamlessly supports the mission and values of PCBH and primary care, and be able to practice using the CI through role-plays, as well as watch live demonstrations of the CI.
Topics: Contextual Interview, Primary Care Behavioral Health, Compassionate and Contextual Healthcare
- Attendees will be able to names at least two major challenges related to the realities surrounding patient complexity in primary care
- Attendees will be able to describe the key philosophical factors that underlie the Contextual Interview and why this is useful in the primary care setting
- Attendees will be able to list the key components of the Contextual Interview
- Attendees will be able to develop skills in conducting a Contextual Interview with patients through role-plays and video/live observations
- Attendees will be able to learn to apply the information gleaned from the Contextual Interview for creating pragmatic and effective behavioral interventions with patients.